Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cameraless Filmmaking Shizaaaam




Well honestly, I'm not quite sure if this blog is due today, but why not go ahead and write it.

I like making films without a camera. Honestly, my policy has always been - never carry something on your person that is worth more than you own. So I never carry my camera around. I don't really like it. I think its because I like spontanaeity and I feel like when you want to film soemthing and set up the tripod its all ruined. Cameras can make things feel cheap and used to me.

The night we got our film, I started painting on it! Actually, Emily better get her butt over to my house ASAP or I feel like I might be tempted to paint on the entire thing. My favorite part of this project has been bleaching the developed strip of film. I found that if I put the bleach on the film for a second then the purple tones were stripped, but the longer I held the brush with bleach on the film more colors were stripped. It was quite a spectacular display of ink stripping. I almost liked the cardboard that was laying under the film with all of its collection of multi-colored inks as much as I liked the final bleached film strip. I layed tape all over the ink in lots of patters and even animated a portion by moving the tape over a little at a time. All-in-all I have been completely engrossed in filmmaking without a camera.

Making the magazine transfers was quite honestly my favorite class that I have ever had-ever! That is not a lie. Ever since I can remember I've been drawn towards the arts. Even when my family was pushing me to be an orthodontist at the age of 10, I knew something wasn't quite right. I had this moment of euphoria during our last class. Everything just felt good and I stepped out of myself for a moment and saw everyone smiling and cutting out images - All I can say is that not everyone gets experiences like that. I'm excited to get to do some animation on this project that is due soon. I can't quite decide what I want to animate. It would not please me to animate the Earth rotating just to see 5 others with the same animation.NO! I need to have something different. Maybe I'll animate a dinosaur. I really like dinosaurs. Maybe I'll have a raptor running.

One filmmaker who doesn't use a camera that really inspires me is the guy that animates to music by the Beatles. His animations are so engaging. If I could animate like that I would feel very fufilled. But I have tried some animation and I can finally grasp how much work goes into only a few seconds of work. The lay man has no clue!

Thinking about him just sparked my worry again about the music that I will use for the rhythmic editing project. I would love to be able to create my own music, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about music producing. That should be my next project.

I've been location scouting for the rhythmic editing project! Wish me luck. I wanted to shoot emily in front of a Chevrolet oldsmobile in the dark with the headlights on and snow falling. It would be like an indie rap video. All I need is for it to snow again and to find someone with an oldsmobile and I will be in business.

1 comment: