Thursday, February 26, 2009

SFJ

Scratch Film Junkies
St. Louise.

Let's be honest, its hard not to like the Scratch Film Junkies - they make films that make one constantly ask " how did they do that?" and thats pretty awesome. I really like this song that they had with their film. For me honestly, a soundtrack can make or break a film. Well, I should say that the pairing of a film to its sound can make or break a film for me. They definitely chose the perfect pairing to their film. St. Louise had the perfect tempo for their scratched painted film. The animation on this film was incredible - and after 100 frame animating for this class, I can completely appreciate the hard work and effort that went into creating a piece like St. Louise.

Its interesting to me that you can tell that multiple people had a hand in creating this piece. There are different styles that come across this film even though hand painting tends to be disorderly anyway. It definitely felt like multiple people with multiple visions grabbed ahold of this film. Whatever the case may be, it worked.

I think its interesting to compare this film to one like Autumnal. The soundtrack in Autumnal was so moody and haunting compared to the upbeat tempo of St. Louise. If the soundtracks were switched, the movies would both be completely different. I especially think that if St. Louise had Autumnal's soundtrack, the frames with the horse head would be especially scary.

The visuals and the colors were incredibly vibrant. I would love to know what medium they used to get the blue and purples a few sections into the film. They were so vibrant they were hard to look away from. I love how color play like that can alter one's mood. It would be great to watch the SCJ in action. I'd love to know how long it takes to produce a film like theirs. If theirs enough of them it probably wouldn't be bad, but editing to a beat when you can't see the finished product is incredibly hard. I wonder how much Final cut pro or avid they use. I need to download St. Louise actually. !!! cha cha fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment